CONSERVATION APPROACH – STATEMENT OF SIGNIFICANCE
Country houses and estates often feature kitchen gardens. Here the kitchen garden predates the original Isaac Ware designed house.
It is possibly the oldest existing structure on the estate. The north wall of the garden was rebuilt during the Victorian period and a plaque over the north east gate is dated 1856.
It was built to a height of 5m and features a south facing lean-to glass house with boilers and piped heating.
At the time this building technology, developed by Joseph Paxton, was the height of fashion following advances in the manufacture of glass and the abolition of taxes on glass.
The height and extent to this conservatory and its age make it significant.
Below the glasshouses photographed by the RAF in 1922, next to a photo of the level of disrepair and overgrowth today.